Monday, October 2, 2023

October 2023, Week 1

 (Guess I took a break for September??)

*Today we had General Conference!  Ben and I had just returned home from a cruise at 10 pm the night before, and had to pick up Tessa from a band competition at 4 am, and I seemed to have had a bit of a stomach bug, so I was not on my game as far as preparations, treats, meals, or energy levels, but that helped bring it all back to basics for the main purpose of the day--to feast on the words of God, given through representatives here for us now.

*Sister Emily Belle Freeman gave her first conference talk as the Young Women's General President.  I have listened to her "Don't Miss This" scripture podcast for the last two years, and I am so pleased that more people will get to hear her wisdom and love for the scriptures and for Jesus Christ.  He will walk our trails with us, and pull us along if we let Him.

*Elder Valeri Cordon asked us to increase our efforts to teach the gospel culture in our families.  I liked it, because lately I feel as if many are loosening their standards, because they're just part of our church "culture" instead of our doctrine.  There is a place for culture, because, Elder Cordon said, it's how we can create a fertile environment for faith to flourish.

*President Nelson fell about three weeks ago, just after his 99th birthday, so he recorded his talk, since he can't sit for long periods of time and was at home.  He asked us to "Think Celestial," which will become a commonly used phrase now, I believe.  We already used it in our scripture study tonight, about reaping what you sow.  He also asked us to avoid anything that robs us of our agency, because we start to look for them for solace instead of to God.  He also announced 20 more temples.  The mighty work is going forth.

It was a delight!  (And I look forward to watching Saturday's sessions later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment