Friday, September 30, 2022

September 2022, Week 3

*Today at church we had some speakers who are new in the ward.  It's not hard to find those these days!  They remind me of when we pulled up our stakes and moved to Texas, away from our family and friends, only to find new "family" and lots of friends waiting to welcome us here.  We are blessed--and haven't felt the call to move away from here yet. 

*Ben and I were asked to play a musical number, so we did one that we do every couple of years (since our audience changes frequently!)--I accompanied him on "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing," arranged by Sally deFord.  It's nice and slow and easy, and it turned out well. (I didn't even forget how to read music, or where middle C is, which is often my fear right before I play!)  I know I'm a pretty mediocre pianist, and will almost assuredly make a mistake (or many), so I always pray that I will be able to add to the spirit of the meeting instead of take away from it.  I think we were able to achieve that.

*It was the practice for the Primary Program, and yikes--being in charge of half of the Sunbeams is almost as hard as being in charge of the whole thing!  Our Primary President had a baby a few weeks ago, and this was her first Sunday back, and our music leader was on a cruise for three weeks and wasn't back yet (but had found a very capable sub for those three weeks), so it was maybe understandably a little hectic. My concern was a cute Sunbeam who did NOT want to sit with us, until I remembered the candy corn I tucked in my bag that morning, and suddenly we had a fairly compliant friend.  I have learned from watching and being intimately involved in MANY Primary Programs (or Primary Sacrament Meeting Presentations, if you want to be technical) that no matter how hectic things seem while practicing, or how much more song/speaking/seat finding practice you think they may still need, the kids always manage to bring the Spirit.  That lessens the stress load for everyone.  And sometimes candy corn bribes are perfectly acceptable.

It was a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment