*Today at church, the organ was set to play prelude by itself. As the meeting was about to begin, I noticed that there wasn't an organist ready to go. Our usual organist had had a baby almost three months ago, and hadn't been back to play yet. A substitute had been playing for her, but had been asked to cover up to April. With General Conference and Easter, and with our ward music chairperson moving away, I guess the fact that no one had been asked to play was overlooked. I caught the eye of the bishopric member (who is in his first month of conducting, since our previous counselor is the husband of the afore-mentioned ward music chairperson who moved away), and I asked if he needed me and he nodded. So I got to play the hymns, sight unseen. It went better than expected.
About two weeks ago, I was talking with a friend who used to be a piano teacher. I asked her if she was taking students, because while I can teach my own children, things are more consistent when I have them take from another teacher. Unfortunately she is not taking students, but we reflected about our piano experiences, and she said people often say to her that they regret not taking lessons, but no one has told her that they regret learning to play the piano. I kind of joked that sometimes I regret it, especially since I had my Easter Sunday choir piece looming, along with another song I've been asked to accompany. But I have thought about that conversation, and I know that I don't regret learning, because it gives me a way to serve that is often really needed. It also gives me a chance to be vulnerable in front of my peers. I think this is something that brings people closer and gives them empathy for each other. It gives me something to work on. It gives me a goal. As a stay-at-home mom, I don't have a boss giving me assignments, and the household work is often routine and mindless. Even though the challenge is often beyond my abilities, I am grateful for the opportunity to try. And, like for today, I get to play the hymns of Zion, which bring me peace.
It was a delight.
No comments:
Post a Comment