Thursday, July 21, 2022

July 2022, Week 2

*Today in church we had the best Sacrament Meeting talks, about how Heavenly Father knows and loves us, with some very personal stories shared.  (Also, I was sustained as a Sunbeam teacher, which I'm excited about!)  One spoke about "Heavenly-Father-Loves-Me-Moments" and the other spoke about his "why," or motivation for keeping on the covenant path.  I thought that instead of recounting the stories they shared, I should record my own spiritual touch-points, when I knew that the Lord was aware of me and loved me, which is what motivates me to continue doing what I do.  I may be adding to this as I think of more things...

--When I was about four or five, I was at home with my mom and younger brother Steven, who was probably three.  We were in a hurry to get somewhere, and Steven's shoes were lost.  I remember my mom being pretty anxious, and then she had us kneel down to say a prayer to find the shoes.  After praying, I said I was going to look in my closet.  My mom said she had already checked in my closet, but I went anyway, and there were his shoes!  I didn't think much of it at the time, because I just knew that that's where they were, but as the story was retold in gratitude by my mom to others, I realized that I "just knew" where the shoes were through the Spirit.  I have prayed for many more lost things.  I almost always find them.  I was grateful for this confirmation that God hears the prayers of his little children.

--When we lived in Tennessee, we lived about 25 minutes away from our church building.  One night after mutual, I was upset because I needed to get home to do homework, and we had to stay late because my mom had a meeting I didn't know about.  It got later and later and I got madder and madder, and by the time we got home and I did the homework, it was very late and I was boiling.  I knelt to pray before bed, and asked for help to calm down.  I was not expecting the answer I received.  I felt warmth from the top of my head roll down my body until I felt surrounded, as if I was wrapped in a blanket.  I was calmed and I was able to sleep.  I was grateful for the knowledge that the Spirit brings peace--sometimes even physically.

--As a youth in Tennessee, we took temple trips in the summer, since it was an eight-hour drive to either Atlanta or Dallas, our closest temples at the time.  It was generally a highlight of the summer.  One year I was being confirmed, and after one of the sisters' name was read, I was overwhelmed with a sense that this sister had been waiting, and was accepting her covenants in gratitude.  I was grateful for this confirmation of the work for those who had died was real and worth it.

--I used to collect snow globes, and one year my parents gave me a simple nativity globe with a music box that played "Silent Night."  One night I was alone in my room and I turned the key to make the music work.  I sat staring at the small statue of the mother Mary and Joseph looking with tenderness at their new baby Jesus.  I heard the words of the music in my mind and they resonated with me so strongly--"Son of God, Love's pure Light--Glories stream from heaven afar, heavenly hosts sing alleluia..."  I was grateful for this confirmation that Jesus had a humble start in this life, and was destined for so much more.

--I attended a regional conference when I was in high school.  Elder Richard G. Scott was the speaker, and he encouraged us all to find our own testimonies of the Book of Mormon.  I was thinking about his talk while I was reading the Book of Mormon one evening.  I knew that I needed my own witness, and I was at a stage where I knew what my parents and the church were teaching me seemed good, but if it wasn't really all true, it was a lot of work for nothing real.  I don't remember what exactly I was reading, but I said a prayer that I would know for myself if what I was reading was true.  I looked at the verse I was on, and I thought, "Well, I know that this verse is true."  I read the next one, and thought, "This one's true, too."  Then I realized that I had read the Book of Mormon all the way through before on my own and with my family, and everything that I had read was true.  I knew it already.  That was my witness.  It wasn't a verbal confirmation from the Lord, but it was a feeling that I had already been learning every day for years the truth He wanted to teach me, and I already had accepted it, and it was time to move forward with it.  It was so profound to me that this witness has become the greatest touch-point in my life.  I can come back to it whenever I have doubts or questions.  I know this Book of Mormon is true, so I can move forward in faith with all the implications that come with that knowledge.  I was so grateful for this confirmation that I was on not only a good path, but the right path, and that the truth of the Book of Mormon could help guide me for the rest of my life.

--I attended a session of EFY several summers as a youth.  I loved it every time.  I learned so many good things and felt the Spirit testify of truth often.  I remember a particular devotional that my counselor gave to our group.  She had us each go through a list of "sins" and give ourselves points for each thing that we had done.  After this, she said she was going to do that many push ups for each of us.  If we were too embarrassed to share our total number of points, she would do even more than the possible number of points for that person.  She said that this was like the Savior taking upon our sins and suffering for them.  She did go through and do push ups for each of us girls, even the one or two who wouldn't share their point total.  We were all in tears by the time she struggled through the last set.  I think this meant more to me than other devotionals because she was willing to suffer physically for our "sins," and I came to see how there truly was a physical component of suffering from our Savior for the sins we commit, and just like our counselor, He did it willingly.  I committed to keep the suffering that I caused Him to a minimum.  I was grateful for this connection to the reality of the love that the Savior has for me, even when I sin.

--When I was getting my Patriarchal Blessing as a senior in high school, I was feeling alone in the world (as many teenagers do), and I was hopeful for a witness that the Lord was aware of ME.  I undeniably got it.  I was grateful to feel known and loved by my Creator.

--I did something wrong.  I felt terrible.  I asked for forgiveness.  I felt forgiven.  I was grateful for the knowledge that the Savior's Atonement works.

--When I decided to go on a mission, I needed to sell my housing contract.  It was in December, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to find anyone who wanted it for the next semester.  I was getting ready for finals and didn't have much time to spend on selling it, so I listed my contract in the campus system.  I didn't hear back from anyone.  I thought, "What more can I do?"  So I fasted.  Very soon after that, my contract sold.  I was grateful for the witness that not only does the Lord love effort, but that fasting is a legitimate and worthwhile effort for when you want to do all that you can do.

Probably more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment