*Today in church I was able to teach my Primary class about Nephi's last written words. We talked about Heavenly Father's plan, and following Jesus along the path of faith, repentance, the covenant of baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring (which I recently learned really means repeating the steps again and again, getting closer to Jesus each time). My five year olds had some great questions (Do we really have to be baptized? I'm afraid to go under water. Why doesn't the Holy Ghost have a body? How can I feast on the scriptures if I can't even read yet?), and it's such a delight to try to answer them in a way they understand.
*I made a mistake with my class, however. Ben had woken up early and he made chocolate chip cookies for our classes, which we were using to talk about 2 Nephi 31:20 (feasting upon the word of Christ), and when I brought them out, one of my boys raised his hand and sweetly asked, "Are they gluten free?" No, they were not--and I didn't even think to check if that was needed before bringing them. I felt terrible that I had put him in that position, but he handled it with such maturity and grace. Yes, he had a few tears in his eyes, and he did say it was okay if he ate it sometimes, but I said we'd wait and check with his mom, who did confirm he shouldn't have gluten. I promised him some gluten-free cookies for next week. He was willing to continue on with the lesson and even participated, while his classmates ate their cookies next to him. Sweet boy. Lesson learned for me--check BEFORE bringing food.
It was a delight.
No comments:
Post a Comment