Sunday, June 16, 2024

April 2024, Week 4

*Today we went to church in Tennessee!  We (Ben, all my children including Scott's fiancee Kaitlyn, and I) were there for my 30th high school reunion.  We found the church building that was built while I was on my mission, so I only attended there during summers and visits to my parents until they moved.  A LOT of time had passed, though, so I didn't know if I'd recognize anyone, but I did!  My sweet former young women's teacher Debi Bradsher was sitting a few rows ahead of us.  As soon as Sacrament Meeting was over, I went up to her, and she knew who I was!  We are friends on Facebook, though we don't really interact with each other there, but I knew she was in a wheelchair because of a stroke she had suffered.  Her speech was slightly slurred, but her mind was sharp, and it was so good to catch up for a few minutes.  I am remembering her as my Mia Maid teacher (age 14-15).  I remember lessons she taught us on the room up on the stage.  Foundations of my testimony were formed in that classroom thanks in large part to her.  She was one of the few ladies I personally knew who had served a mission, and that gave me confidence to also serve.  Her kids are grown, her husband has passed away, but there she was, in her wheelchair, at church, still being an example to me.

*After church we drove through Collierville's downtown square, through my old neighborhood, and by my high school, before stopping by the gates of Graceland on our way back to Texas.  I lived there from when I was 13 until I left for BYU (and summers until my parents moved to Utah--into Ben's family's ward 🙂).  It was a difficult stage of life (as it is for most people), and difficult in some ways to be a member of the church there, but I have some very good memories from my time there too.  I was glad to share a lot of those memories with my family.

It was a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment