*Today at church I got to attend my own ward, and I substituted on the organ. The songs were hard today! My hands actually started shaking from nerves as I was playing the opening hymn (#82, "For All the Saints"). I took a breath and, in not so many words, told my hands to stop because this was for church and people needed to sing, and not listen to my shaky notes. They did! A tender mercy.
*During Testimony Meeting, a sister shared a thought from a sermon she had listened to on the radio that morning. The preacher had been talking about being "fishers of men." He said that most people enjoy the fishing, but no one really likes to clean the fish. The thing is, though, the Lord asks us to do the fishing, and He will take care of the cleaning. We don't need to prejudge--we just bring souls to Him, and He will do the cleaning of them. I liked that imagery.
*During Sunday School, we had another image that I enjoyed. We were studying the 3rd and 4th chapters of John, about Nicodemus learning about being born again. Our instructor used a hard popcorn kernel to describe how we are before our change of heart, and how a popped kernel is us after a change. It was interesting to think about what it takes to change a heart, and how we should be soft and teachable after.
*During Relief Society, we had a nice lesson about President Benson's "Fourteen Fundamentals" of prophets. I most enjoyed, however, holding my sleeping 2 1/2 year old on my lap, as he had fallen asleep on my husband, who successfully transferred him to me so he could go teach his lesson. It doesn't happen often that I get to hold him while he sleeps (and almost never at church), and it won't be too long before those days are all done. I've put in a good many years mothering babies and toddlers. Being still and holding a sleeping child is one of the best parts of the job.
It was awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment