Sunday, April 12, 2015

April 2015, Week 2

*Today at church we heard some great talks about the Restoration.  I am realizing now that it is probably because it was April 6th this week, and therefore the anniversary of the Restoration of the Gospel.  The sister missionaries serving in our ward both spoke.  One of them said something that is really applicable and profound: "You can't expect a thousand dollar answer from a ten cent prayer."  I'll be thinking of that one as I pray for a while to come.

*I visited another ward for their Primary, and the theme for the month is...the Restoration of the Gospel!  For Junior Primary, their president gathered all the kids together at her feet to tell them "her favorite story."  Then she told of Joseph Smith as a boy, and the events leading to and during his prayer in the Sacred Grove.  I could feel the Spirit immediately as she began the lesson.  When I was a missionary, we did the "old school" discussions, and we shared this story with everyone we taught in the first lesson.  At first I was a bit uncomfortable, because it seemed that Joseph Smith was maybe too much too fast, and people were often wary as soon as we brought his name up.  Then I noticed that frequently, when we started this part of the lesson, a distraction in the home would happen--the phone would ring, a baby would cry, etc.  I thought about it, and realized that the distractions and my first attitude were keeping the Spirit away.  When I changed my attitude, and worked to keep that part of the lesson as free from distractions as we could, the Spirit was there full-force.  Satan knew that--he tried to stop Joseph that day, and he works to stop missionaries now from telling the story, but he didn't win then, and he won't now.  It became my favorite part to teach in any missionary lesson.  I am so grateful for Joseph Smith--for the faithful boy, and for the dedicated man.

It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment