Sunday, April 12, 2015

March 2015, Week 5

*Today at church, I substituted on the organ.  Sometimes while I was playing, I got distracted because I was reading the words, and forgot to read the notes.  I love the hymns.  I read a quote the other day by Rita Dove that said, "Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful."  I appreciate how powerful sermons can be taught in a few lines, and the fact that they're accompanied by beautiful music makes it that much easier for them to usher the Spirit right into my soul.

*My almost 14-year old son passed the Sacrament to me up on the stand.  He somehow arranges to be the one to pass it to our family almost every Sunday, so it's not unusual to have him hand it to me, but this time, it struck me how grateful and blessed I am to have this boy for my son.  He is beginning to take seriously the charge to find his own testimony, and he is already cheerfully explaining and defending his faith on a regular basis to his friends at school.

*I substituted the Sunbeam class today, and wow!  There were only three kids, but I got a workout.  In between corralling and bathroom trips and rearranging seating and taking a walk around the church to enjoy the BEAUTIFUL spring weather, we did have a sort lesson about Easter.  They were most struck with the fact that there were bad men who would kill Jesus.  It baffles me, too, but I'm grateful for the outcome of the whole Atonement.  I hope they heard me tell them that.

It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment