Tuesday, August 20, 2024

August 2024, Week 3

 *Today at church we had a High Counselor speak.  He is an AP Physics teacher at my kids' high school, and he's had several of our ward's kids as students there and in Seminary when he taught.  We have been in the same ward in the past, and he mentioned that Ben taught him how to "boom chuck" on the guitar while Ben played the banjo so that they could play some bluegrass together.  (In other words, he's a gifted teacher and we like him!  Scott, who had him as a teacher at school and Seminary the same year, called him "Mr. Brother Shipp.")  Then he talked about a video he had watched about a man making a guitar from a palette.  He talked about how palette wood is not the kind of wood you would want to make a guitar, but the craftsman took it and prepared it and shaped it and made a beautiful guitar.  It reminded me of a real-life example of the poem, "The Touch of the Master's Hand."  He helped us to see how Christ is ready to take any one of us and refine and shape us into something beautiful. He also reminded us to reach out to "the one," as we've been challenged to do for President Nelson's 100th birthday.  EVERY soul has worth.  We can bring them back to Him, and He will shine them up and make beautiful music with them.

*Today for Primary I had again struggled to make the lesson cohesive in my planning.  We were talking about Captain Moroni, with the Nephite army's armor, building the protections for the cities, the Title of Liberty, and so on.  I was praying about it last night, and the word "preparation" came to mind.  All the things Moroni did was to prepare his people--physically (armor, walls), and spiritually (asking the prophet Alma for direction, motivating the people with a just cause) for the war ahead of them.  (And of course, we can prepare ourselves for hard things ahead of us, too.)  That helped me to tie everything together.  However...

*About half-way through my lesson, I was called out and Ben told me that Emma had been in a car accident on her way to her ward.  She was okay, as far as we knew, but her car was probably totaled (again!) as she had been rear-ended (again!).  I left my class with my co-teacher and Gracie so I could take Ben home to get our other car to go help Emma.  I had a chance to talk with her (she was pretty rattled), and let her know Ben was on his way.  Then I went back to pick everyone up from church and we went to choir where I subbed on the piano (which was hard to focus on!), and eventually Ben and Emma made it back home.  Her car was drivable, but the rear lights are smashed, so it's not safe to continue.  This will make things a little tricky to get around in the next few weeks, while she and Gracie are both working and now both need my car [and I have a few places to go, too], but Emma is planning to leave in September for BYU-I, and wasn't planning to take her car, so it will be fine in the end.  I was playing the piano in the afternoon, and I played a spiritual called "All Night, All Day," which says in part, "All night, all day, angels watchin' over me, my Lord."  I thought of how Emma was 100% being watched over by angels during this accident.  No doubt.

It was a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment