Wednesday, August 20, 2025

August 2025, Week 3

 *Today at church we sang one of the new hymns, number 1007: "As Bread is Broken."  I know I keep quoting hymns here, but I suppose that's the reason we keep singing them--their messages are clear, concise, and important.  Anyway, the phrase that stayed with me was from the third verse: "May our repentance be sincere.  Unto our pleadings incline thine ear."  Sometimes with the emphasis on daily repentance, I think I get a little repetitive and less sincere, and that's something I can improve on.  I also like the mental image of Heavenly Father inclining His ear, perking up and listening, to my pleadings.  I know He does hear me every time, but I appreciated this reminder.

*One of our sister missionaries shared a story about her grandpa, who lived in a rural area and was driving to work on a cold, snowy highway.  He saw something dark run onto the road, so he stopped to see if he had hit it.  There was a little lamb, hiding under the tire of his truck, thankfully unharmed.  He picked up the lamb, tossed it to the side of the road, and got in his truck, but the lamb ran right back to the shelter of the tire.  He got out again, picked up the lamb, walked further away from the road, tossed the lamb, and headed to the truck, but the lamb beat him back.  He picked it up again, walked much further away, tossed the lamb, and ran back to the truck, but the lamb beat him again, looking for the shelter of the tire.  Her grandpa finally took the lamb to a small hill and tossed it down (she assured us that the lamb was okay), ran back to his truck, and was able to drive away.  She related this to how Jesus Christ knows what is best for us.  Sometimes we think we have found a good place, but it is actually dangerous for us to stay there.  He will move us and try to keep us away from danger, even if it is uncomfortable or scary or cold.  The good news is that He won't drive away from us. ☺

It was a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment